Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Cold, Lonely Kitchen

Quick update, mostly for posterity so I don’t wonder down the road where May went. Parvovirus + migraines + gastroenteritis = zero appetite and zero interest in cooking. I did make a lovely risotto last night with sweet petite peas, sautéed mushrooms and lemon zest, but only because if I didn’t there would be no dinner last night or tonight. Other than that I have pretty much subsisted on graham crackers, popsicles and peanut butter toast, when I’ve eaten at all. I am REALLY looking forward to June and reacquainting myself with the kitchen. I’ve been under the weather for 11 days now and that’s just waaaayyy too long. 

Joseph, on the other hand, has discovered solid food and is eating with a vengeance. I can’t believe he’s taken to it so beautifully, considering how young he is (we started when he was just four months/18 weeks old). All he’s had is organic oaties with formula, but I just love the way he hums and grunts at me to HURRY UP with the spoon, lady! He gets so excited! He has even grabbed the spoon, shoved it toward his mouth, scraped off the cereal and crammed it in his mouth himself. Hilarious!

We’re waiting to introduce other homemade organic foods until after our marathon Chicago/Indy trip, so it’s easier to travel with him, and I can’t wait to start blogging about our adventures together in the kitchen. A whole new chapter for him, and a really beloved part of motherhood for me. I made all of Sophia’s food and just loved the whole process. She is a truly omnivorous little person, and I can only hope that I can teach Joseph to love all kinds of flavors as well.

And, on a note completely unrelated to cooking, Sophia is really READING now, and I am loving it. She read Joseph three Sandra Boynton books today all by herself... really read them, and I was just bursting with pride. Such a big girl at four and a third! I know this has nothing to do with cooking, but what’s a mother to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment