Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bacon, Broccoli & Gruyère Crustless Quiche

This is a perennial favorite in our household. I probably make this once a month, usually as a vehicle for leftover bacon. (How we manage to have leftover bacon is a mystery!). 

I’ve adapted this over time from the original recipe in the 1997 Joy of Cooking, my favorite resource cookbook (a controversial rewrite of the original Joy). I make the bacon Alison’s way (15-20 minutes at 400 degrees on a foil-lined baking sheet) and steam the broccoli for three minutes some time mid-afternoon so that the dish can come together quickly for an easy dinner.

Authentic Gruyère is essential. I’ve finally learned that it’s always worth the money to spring for “real” cheeses... they impart so much more flavor and you subsequently need less of it. 

This dish is tasty comfort food and never fails to satisfy. It's also at least somewhat healthier than quiche with the (yummy) crust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment