Saturday, March 21, 2009

Risotto

Frankly, I can’t believe this is my first risotto posting. I would imagine that most dedicated home cooks have one or two signature dishes, recipes that they gradually hone over time and in which they take great pride. Risotto is absolutely my signature dish. It’s my go-to comfort food as well as a favorite stand-by when entertaining.

What makes risotto so glorious? In my world, the basic ingredients in risotto—olive oil, arborio rice, yellow onion, white wine, chicken broth and Parmigiano-Reggiano—are everyday pantry staples. All I need to do, then, is add flavorful seasonal ingredients for a fresh take on an old favorite. I love the toothy feel of arborio rice, the creamy texture without heavy ingredients, the smell of the white wine cooking off the sautéed onions and rice.

I also love the physical process of making risotto. If you’ve never made it before, risotto requires about 30 minutes of constant stirring as you gradually incorporate the chicken broth into the rice. Ergo, you have to do all of your mise en place, or ingredient prep, before you start cooking. Once onions and veggies are chopped, broth is simmering and cheese is grated, you’re free to stand at the stovetop, slowly ladling and stirring and drinking a glass of white wine or champagne, which is required for truly tasty risotto. I absolutely adore being “stuck” at the stove for 30 minutes, watching this satisfying dish come together.

My first risotto, which served as the basis of my own recipe now, was with fresh tomatoes and basil from 1,000 Vegetarian Recipes, a beautiful gift from my Aunt Bev. Today, I prefer risotto with something green like sweet petite peas or asparagus, or sautéed mushrooms and lemon zest, and always Parmigiano-Reggiano. It’s even wonderful without any embellishment save a tablespoon or two of cream, and I make a dairy-free version when anyone here has the flu and needs something bland and simple yet appetizing.

Risotto is that magical combination of nourishing and healthy yet rich tasting and sumptuous. One of my all-time absolute favorites. Yum! Oh, and it’s even good cold, eaten straight from the container standing in front of the fridge. Or so I’ve been told...

No comments:

Post a Comment