Monday, August 10, 2009

Almond-Peach Crisp

Summer vacation is rapidly drawing to a close. This has been the most wonderful summer of my life, including the summer Becky Selzer’s parents went on vacation and let us stay at their house, so that’s really saying something! I’m feeling a little blue about it coming to an end and find myself drawn to homey comfort foods.

However, despite my autumnal cravings, the warm summer-y weather persists, so I’ve been searching high and low for nourishing comfort foods that feature summer produce. Thus the magnificent almond-peach crisp.

I found this recipe in a cookbook my sister-in-law, Jenn, gave me: The Bon Appétit Fast Easy Fresh Cookbook (which, incidentally, came with a one-year Bon Appétit subscription, which I’m also loving despite the radical rebranding since I last subscribed... why does everyone in the photojournalistic, party-at-home pics have a tattoo?). Everything I’ve read about in this book has seemed like a quick and healthy twist on an old favorite. My only complaint, frankly, is that it’s a hefty tome and is almost too much to slog through. Oh, and there’s a dearth of inspiring photography. Regardless, this crisp recipe was everything I was looking for.

In many ways it’s a traditional crisp—fresh fruit topped with a blend of butter, oats, brown sugar and flour. However, this crisp is subtly yet vastly improved with the addition of a hint of almond extract with the fruit and chopped toasted almonds in the topping. Delightful. Another thing I loved about this recipe is that it only calls for one pound of fruit (just two or three peaches), making two servings, but is easily scalable. I tripled the recipe and baked it in an eight-inch square Pyrex dish and it was perfect.

Unfortunately, crisp just doesn't keep very well. It’s best right out of the oven... subsequent servings found the crisp, well, not-so-crispy. Next time I’ll either scale back the number of servings or, better yet, invite more people!

1 comment:

  1. MICHELLE! I was just checking out your blog (one of my new "hobbies" is perusing food blogs – especially now that I’ve just finished reading the Julie/Julia project!) and imagine my surprise to see you mentioned me/my parents! How funny. I don’t really remember that summer – could be a.g.e. disease or probably more likely the significant alcohol consumption – ha! Are you going to brave the reunion this year? I haven’t decided yet…(of course, my mom is still the same, and I don’t think she’d ever let me live it down if I don’t go!) Thanks for the fun, wittily written blog :)

    ReplyDelete