Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Fried Green Tomato BLTs

These sandwiches are exactly as delicious but not nearly as sinful as they sound, and a favorite dish to originate from the Longmont Farmers’ Market.

I have the most powerful memories of Dad’s fried green tomatoes and fried eggplant on Crooked Road. I discovered this recipe in the most unlikely of places, Cooking Light, a few years ago, and we have gradually perfected it.

As per the recipe, I cook Coleman natural bacon (although I do it in the oven, Alison’s way, rather than on the stove top—too messy!) and dredge the green tomato slices with corn meal and parmesan cheese before frying them in a bit of bacon grease and some olive oil. We use red leaf lettuce and whole wheat bread, which we toast. I wonder if toasted BLTs are a regional thing, or just an us thing?

Most importantly, however, we DO NOT put mayonnaise on our sandwiches. Why? Because, to put it bluntly, mayonnaise is revolting. Disgusting. An abomination. Yes, I know it’s made from eggs and oil, but I just can’t stomach it. Ergo, I always miss out on people’s “world famous” potato salad (why is everyone’s potato salad recipe a point of pride?), and will only gag down a deviled egg under the most crucial of social situations. Actually, the first time my mom saw my sister, Becki, and I both eat a deviled egg was when they were made by my soon-to-be aunt, Eloise. We so wanted her to like us that we both choked down a deviled egg. Now that is love!

Anyway... in lieu of mayonnaise, I make yogurt cheese by straining Brown Cow plain yogurt in cheese cloth for a few hours. The texture is delightfully creamy and the flavor sufficiently tangy. Yum. And mayo free!

These BLTs scream to be devoured with a cold beer and perhaps some grilled corn on the cob. They are remarkably light, fabulously tasty and bring together a satisfying blend of textures. Simply put, they’re the essence of summer. On toast.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, I love that you remember our shared deviled egg experience. I still abhor mayonnaise but next time I am in Indy, I would absolutely have another of Aunt Eloise's devilish goodness. Love, Becki Lee

    ReplyDelete