Friday, August 7, 2009

Italian Sausage-Stuffed Globe Zucchinis

One of my favorite finds from the Longmont Farmers’ Market is the globe zucchini. I only learned about these a few years ago, and they’re now a summertime staple. They make a scrumptious, healthy and perfectly self-contained entrée, and they are just beautiful to look at.

My recipe for stuffed zucchini is adapted from a recipe I got years ago from Alison. Her recipe was for stuffed bell peppers, but ever since pregnancy #1 I really can’t digest peppers at all (except for the occasional roasted red pepper). I can’t even recall where I got the idea, but for years now we’ve been stuffing these beautiful summer squash and serving them with tomato sauce.

First, I scoop out the innards of each zucchini with a melon baller (after lopping off the top like a pumpkin) then blanch them in boiling water. Next, I make the stuffing—I sauté onions, garlic and a bit of the zucchini innards (but not too much or it’s too watery), then add Boulder Italian sausage and brown. I combine this sautéed mixture with already-cooked jasmine rice, beaten egg, pine nuts and grated Parmiagiano-Reggiano cheese. Fill each zucchini with the stuffing and cover with Muir Glen tomato sauce, cover with foil and bake.

I wish I’d taken a picture of these when they came out of the oven, or, better yet, Sophia’s empty plate after devouring an entire zucchini by herself!

I made these Friday afternoon before a pool party, and felt such a glow of satisfaction that I had whipped up such a beautiful dinner for my family before our evening adventure. I’ve cooked from scratch several times this week, which is a vast improvement over the past weeks and months. While it’s murder on my arthritic feet, it's wonderful for my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment