Saturday, August 1, 2009

Benji & Sophia’s Salad

This has been christened Benji’s Salad, because it was Ben who came up with the combination of toppings. However, Sophia is insisting it be called Benji & Sophia’s salad, because she loves it so much she eats third! It has been given a five-star rating all around, which is fabulous, since I don’t consider salads to be my forte. In my experience, salad is always best if it’s made by someone else... my versions are never as good as those served to me by friends or restaurants. So, I’m tickled pink to have everyone in our house raving.

The salad is really fairly simple: organic baby spinach topped with garbanzo beans, hearts of palm and Kalamata olives. I’ve made this three times, and the third time was the best, improved with the addition of grilled chicken breast, marinated for a few hours in lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.

I’ve also created a delicious vinaigrette for this salad inspired in part by recipes on epicurious and in part by wonderful salads I’ve had at Alison’s—one parts vinegar (half balsamic vinegar, half white wine vinegar), three parts olive oil, bit of salt and pepper and a hint of local wildflower honey. Yum!

I bought Ben a new grill about a month ago. Only half of our old grill worked, and the ignitors had been broken for years. We absolutely love our new purchase, and it has made pulling together healthy, speedy dinners a breeze. This was the least expensive grill that got a recommendation on Consumer Reports, and it has been really inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment