Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tangy Lentil & Chickpea Soup

Seriously, what is it about soup? Soup is one of my absolute favorite healthy lunches, and I just love to prepare it. I’ve been thinking about this for a few days and here’s what I’ve come up with: for me, making homemade soup is the closest I come to starring in my own cooking show.

Here’s what I mean. When I make soup, I do all my mise en place first: chop chop chop, mince mince mince, measure seasonings into little ramekins, open cans, rinse beans, etc. It’s one of the few times I’m not multitasking in the kitchen. Once my mise en place is complete, then I get to just stand at the stove and sauté, stir and savor the beautiful colors, textures and smells. Then, once everything’s in the pot... simmer! Which is when we take a commercial break and walk away from the stove for an hour or so. Buzzer beeps and I have a colorful, nutritious, hearty one-dish meal. Love it! It really is the most satisfying meal to create.

So, this week’s soup I found in O Magazine. I would have been skeptical if I hadn’t already made something else scrumptious from O (banana walnut muffins). I absolutely loved this recipe. Despite turmeric, curry powder and cinnamon, the soup isn’t overly curry-ish. The addition of lemon juice and balsamic vinegar once the soup has simmered gives it a subtle tang, and the combination of garbanzos and lentils lends a hearty texture. I made the recipe as written, but next time I’m adding a carrot or two. What’s a big soup without carrots? This meal was just lovely and delicious. One funny note: the recipe says it makes six servings. For whom? Linebackers? We got eight to 10.

Despite the not-too-curryish nature of the soup, I did serve them with my favorite new discovery: Rotiland brand Roti-Chapati (in the refrigerated section at Costco). Just throw them on a hot griddle (I used a nonstick skillet) for about 30 seconds a side and they’re just wonderful, lightly browned and just a bit puffed up. I often grapple with what to serve when I make Indian food, because I haven’t yet tackled bread making, and the rice, raita and curry components of the meal are already a lot of prep work. These are a great new find to round out those meals.

Oh, and speaking of lentils. I had the most amazing warm lentil salad with tomato and dill last night at the Montessori back-to-preschool picnic. These events seem to bring out the best in home cooks, and last night was no exception. I told Rudi, Jack B.’s mom, that it was so good I just wanted to kiss her! (Do you imagine she found that alarming?) Here’s the recipe. My people should expect to see it in heavy rotation soon!

1 comment:

  1. My 17-year-old made this on Friday. Even without the potato (which must've been more appealing as a snack), the soup was deee-lish!

    ReplyDelete