Monday, August 24, 2009

Tangy Lentil & Chickpea Soup Recipe

Apparently everyone loves lentils as much as we do. I’ve had several requests for this recipe, which is featured in the September 2009 issue of O Magazine. For some reason the recipe’s not up on their site yet, so I’ve included it below.

2 tsp. olive oil
¾ cup chopped celery
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
1 large yellow potato, peeled and diced [I didn’t peel it, since so many nutrients are in the skin]
1 tsp. mild curry powder
1 tsp. ground turmeric
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup dried and rinsed lentils (preferably red) [I used whatever I had on hand]
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, well-rinsed and drained
1 tsp. salt
juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional) [skipped this time, will probably do some time]

Place olive oil in large pot over medium heat; sauté celery, onions and potatoes, along with curry powder, turmeric and cinnamon, 5 to 8 minutes.

Add canned tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes.

Add 8 cups of water and the lentils, chickpeas and salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer, partially covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour (check that there is enough liquid; add 1 extra cup of water if necessary).

Just before serving, add lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and cilantro, if using.

Makes 6 servings.

Recipe courtesy of Catherine S. Katz, PhD, coauthor of Dr. David Katz’s Flavor-Full Diet.

6 comments:

  1. I just made this delicious soup. I was wondering if I could get the nutritional ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I don't have a nutritional analysis for this recipe. I did find an interesting Web site, www.NutritionData.com, where you can enter your own home recipes and get nutritional analysis. I haven't tried it out yet but it's an intriguing idea. If you check it out, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made this soup and loved it! Thanks for posting it here so I could share the recipe with friends who don't subscribe to O Magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this soup - and served it with crusty bread (broken up in pieces in the soup). My whole family enjoyed it (even the picky eaters).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really looking forward to trying this soup - I just bought a huge bag of Puy lentils for a Nigella recipe and I've been looking for more recipes that call for them. I don't think I'll peel the potato either when I make it. (And I'll probably substitute a T of Plugra butter for half of the olive oil for a richer taste. Even so, that won't add a significant amount of fat or cholesterol.) The editors at O Magazine printed the nutritional breakdown in the December issue in response to a reader request:

    Serving size: 1 cup (yeah, right : ) The recipe makes 12 servings.
    Calories: 157
    Carbs: 29 grams
    Protein: 8 g
    Fat: 2 g
    Cholesterol: 0
    Fiber: 7 g
    Sodium: 506 mg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oprah's Dec 2009 issue featured the nutritional info on p. 36

    ReplyDelete